Benefits for Adults

Disabled parking – Blue badge scheme 

Blue Badges help people with disabilities or health conditions park closer to their destination. You can apply for a badge for yourself, on behalf of somebody else or an organisation that transports people that need a Blue Badge.

To find out if you qualify, click Blue Badge

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is being replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for disabled people. If you already get DLA, your claim might end. You’ll get a letter telling you when this will happen and how you can apply for PIP.

If you were born on or before 8 April 1948, you’ll continue to get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) as long as you’re eligible for it. If you were born after 8 April 1948, your DLA will end. You’ll get a letter telling you when that will happen. You’ll continue to get DLA until that date. Unless your circumstances change, you do not need to do anything until you get this letter.

DLA will continue to be paid until at least 28 days after a decision is made about your PIP application. If you’re eligible for PIP, you’ll start getting PIP payments as soon as your DLA payments end.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help you with some of the extra costs if you have long term ill-health or disability. The amount you get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

To apply for PIP, you usually need to have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years and be living in one of these countries when you apply. You might still be able to get PIP if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status.

We have two factsheets available for people applying or being reassessed for PIP. 

Factsheet 1 – Making a claim 
Factsheet 2 – Assessment process

Speak to your haemophilia centre nursing team if you need more help filling in the form. You can also ask them to check your form before you send it off. It’s a good idea to keep a copy of your completed form. You can take it with you to your assessment and use it to make sure that you don’t forget anything you want to mention.

More information can be found here:

PIP Assessment 1
PIP Assessment 2
PIP Assessment 3
Personal Independence Payment Assessments
PIP Diary Record

Citizens Advice can also give you help understanding PIP.

If after reading the fact sheets, you have any more questions about applying or the appeal process please contact us on 020 7939 0780 or email

We also have produced guidance for Health Care Professionals to help them produce a supporting letter.

If, after applying for state help, you/your family are still struggling to make ends meet, there are various organisations and charities that may be able to help through a grant.

You could be taken to court or have to pay a penalty if you give wrong information or do not report a change in your circumstances. Contact the benefits helpline for more information.

Financial help if you’re disabled

There is a wide range of disability-related financial support, including benefits, tax credits, payments, grants and concessions. Click Financial Help Disabled for more information.

Vehicle tax exemption

Did you know, you can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you get the:

  • higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.

It must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. It cannot be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

You can claim disability exemption when you apply for vehicle tax.

Vehicle tax reduction

You can get a 50% reduction in vehicle tax if you get the PIP standard rate mobility component.

The vehicle should be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.

You cannot get a reduction for getting the DLA lower rate mobility component.

Find out if you are eligible for vehicle tax exemption or tax reduction.

Other benefits you may be entitled to

When you get Personal Independence Payment (PIP), you might also be able to get extra benefits and other help. Turn2us will provide practical help to people who are struggling financially. Their Grants Search can also help you look for funds that might be able to give you a grant or other types of help.

Related content

Benefits for Children

If your child has just been diagnosed with a bleeding disorder, here’s our summary of…
Read more Read more